Child Injury Lawyer For Falls From Furniture
As parents, we often put the safety of our children above all else. Unfortunately, most of us can’t watch our children 24/7. While you may have found the best daycare or childcare service available, accidents can still happen. Children who fall from furniture while under the care of a babysitter, daycare provider, or even a family member or friend could sustain severe injuries. Parents may be subject to emotional distress and expensive medical bills.
If this has happened to you, you don’t have to handle it alone. The child injury lawyers at The Galione Law Firm, P.A. have years of experience working with parents to right the wrongs against their children. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Child Neglect & Furniture Falls
Most accidents involving falling from furniture are a result of child negligence. An infant or young child should never be left unsupervised in any scenario, but this is especially true when they’ve been placed on an elevated surface. Children can often fall from seemingly innocuous places, such as:
- Diaper changing table
- Couch or sofa
- Beds without appropriate railing
A daycare or childcare provider should have protocols in place to ensure that a child is never left unattended on any of these surfaces. Even if a baby hasn’t displayed the ability to roll over yet, all precautions should be taken when placing children on any furniture. Diaper changing tables should be well-stocked so that caregivers do not have to search for supplies in the middle of changing a diaper.
Even if a child is closely watched, they can roll over and fall in the time it takes to blink. That’s why a caregiver should always have a hand on the baby or only put them on surfaces that have raised edges, such as railing or cushions. When settling on a childcare provider, you should request to see their diaper changing areas and ask about safety rules to protect against daycare negligence. Even if you’re entrusting a friend or family member, you should make sure that they are knowledgeable and prepared to keep your child safe.
Child injuries due to falling can result in severe damages, even if the furniture was not very high. Common injuries can include:
- Broken bones or fractures. Often seen in the clavicle, elbow, wrist, legs, or fingers. Signs can include difficulty moving, swelling, or extensive bruising.
- Head injuries. Head injuries should be treated immediately! Signs of a concussion can include excess crankiness, vomiting, altered speech (if the child is old enough to speak), slow pulse, or seizures.
- Eye injuries. Symptoms of an eye injury can include a bloody nose, black eye, broken blood vessels in the white of the eye, or difficulty moving the eye.
- Mouth injuries. If the child is old enough to have teeth, they might chip or knock out a tooth. Falling on their face can also cause the teeth to cut up the inside of the mouth. A pediatric dentist should be consulted to ensure there’s no extensive damage.
When To Seek The Help Of A Child Injury Lawyer
Neglecting a child can result in serious injuries or even death. Not only is this an awful thing to have to happen to your family, but it can also be expensive. If your child has fallen from furniture due to neglect, the caregiver should be held responsible. A child injury lawyer can help you receive compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Physical pain and emotional suffering
- Any resulting disfigurement
- Lost income from taking time off work to care for your child during their treatment
- Additional expenses that were incurred as a result of the injuries
It’s important to know both you and your child’s rights and have them vigorously defended. The Galione Law Firm, P.A., can provide you peace of mind during this stressful time.